Ash Removal and Clean-Up from Systems
The following recommendations on the removal of ash
from communication systems are based on experience from the 1980 eruption Mt. St. Helens, Washington:
- Blow out or vacuum out radio equipment and brush off.
- Seal equipment that is not already watertight and keep moisture out of equipment.
- Magnetic particles that stick to relay cores should be blown off.
- Clean equipment daily and increase the use of filter paper.
- Clean out microwave dishes, feed horns, and wave guides.