Prepare for Cleanup
Urban areas exposed to volcanic ashfall should develop plans for clean-up and disposal of ashfall, including the following:
- Estimate expected ash volumes and identify potential disposal sites in the region. Disposal may require the isolation of material from aquifers and a low permeability layer.
- Arrange personnel and equipment requirements, including contact lists and mutual support agreements for ash clean-up as part of regional contingency planning.
- Establish strategies for stabilization of deposits such as covering with a layer of soil, snow or gravel and/or seeding to encourage vegetation cover.
- Establish strategies for managing spontaneous volunteerism, including assigning a liaison officer, scheduling regular briefings and providing health and safety support.
- Coordinate plans with emergency management groups, scientists and infrastructure providers.