Be informed. Make a plan. Build a kit.
Become aware of the volcanic hazards that might affect the areas where you live, work, or visit.
Use our interactive map
to read more about the volcanoes nearest you.
Make a plan and ensure everyone in your family knows what to do in case of an emergency.
Build and maintain a disaster supplies kit.
- Identify responsibilities for each member of your household and plan to work together as a team.
- Choose places to meet and an out-of-area emergency contact person.
- Plan what to do if you have to evacuate, decide where you would go and what route you would take to get there. You may choose to go to a hotel/motel, stay with friends or relatives in a safe location or go to an evacuation shelter if necessary.
- In the event of imminent danger, it is important to find a safe place and stay there.
Ensure the following non-standard items are in your kit to live safely and more comfortably around active volcanoes:
- A recommended paint or respiratory mask and goggles for working outside in volcanic ash.
- For people with existing respiratory difficulties, extra medication and oxygen required to live in dusty or ashy conditions.
- Spare contact lenses, cleaning solution, eye glasses.
- Plastic and tape to seal ash out of your house during extreme ash fall.