Prepare for Volcanic Activity
During an eruption, you might be asked to:
- Evacuate due to lahars or thick ash fall, or...
- Shelter in place due to ash fall. or...
- Keep informed and help others in need.
- Learn—Learn about volcano hazard zones and evacuation routes. Know how to access this information during a crisis.
- Inquire—Ask local and state emergency offices and schools about their plans. Be ready to follow official guidance.
- Prepare—Gather basic emergency provisions (visit Resources). Establish a plan to reunite with family if you are separated. Don't forget your pets!
Make a Safety Plan and a Survival Kit.
To live safely and more comfortably with volcanic ash fall, prepare a Family Emergency Preparedness Plan, and add these items to the described emergency preparedness kit:
- Recommended paint or respiratory mask ; goggles for working outside.
- For people with existing respiratory difficulties, extra medication and oxygen required to live in dusty conditions.
- Spare contact lenses, cleaning solution, eye glasses.
- Plastic and tape to seal ash out of your house during extreme ash fall.
Visit the Get Involved webpages
, CVO Education webpages
, and Ash Website
for ideas about how to prepare your family and your community.
Be informed. Make a plan. Build a kit.
Educate and protect your family, neighbors, and friends.