Monitoring Earthquakes in Yellowstone National Park
The Yellowstone Seismic Network (YSN) is operated cooperatively by the University of Utah, the US Geological Survey's Volcano Hazards Program, and the National Park Service. The network covers the seismically and volcanically active Yellowstone National Park and surrounding area. It is designed for the purpose of monitoring volcano and geyser-related earthquake activity and for studying the subsurface processes of Yellowstone.
Curious about how Yellowstone seismometers function and how seismograms are read? Watch this video to learn.
Earthquake Data (from the University of Utah)
- Recent earthquake activity in Yellowstone National Park (map and catalog with links).
- Recent earthquake activity in the Intermountain West (map and catalog with links).
- Live seismograms for the Yellowstone area (links to webicorders, updated every ten minutes).
- Animations of recent earthquakes (shows earthquake activity over the past seven days).
- Earthquak e Catalog of Yellowstone area (maps and catalog).
- Discussion of earthquakes in Yellowstone area (map and discussion).