Opportunities for Educators to Engage with CVO
The USGS recognizes the value of education for creating disaster-resilient communities. To that end, they work with their partner agencies to offer professional development opportunities for teachers and community educators, as well as events for students and their families. Some examples of these events are listed below with the typical time of year when they take place. Visit the CVO events calendar (via the Get Involved menu) to learn more about upcoming events and find out how to register and/or participate.
- Volcano Awareness Month in Washington State: (May) USGS-CVO and partner agencies commemorate the May 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens.
- Mount St. Helens Teacher Workshop: (June 25-27, 2014) Three-day workshop offered at the Coldwater Science and Learning Center provides information and resources that will enhance your school's fieldtrip to Mount St. Helens.
- Mount Rainier Teacher Training: (July 28-August 1, 2014) Five-day classroom and field-based workshop at Mount Rainier Education Center for middle school teachers offers information and resources about Mount Rainier and other Cascade Range volcanoes.
- Volcano Views and Brews: (Fall, Winter, Spring) Presentations for the public about volcano-related issues sponsored by the Mount St. Helens Institute.
- Volcano Crisis Courses: Offered in conjunction with the National Disaster Preparedness Training Center upon request from communities.
- Group trainings for professionals and communities: As resources allow.