- Current Update, last updated Apr 9, 2014 07:54 :
No significant deformation was recorded through March, 2014.
Seismicity: 0 shallow events below summit area, 5 events to the west of Mokuʻāweoweo Crater (<13 km), 3 events to the north of Mokuʻāweoweo Crater, 10 shallow events on the Upper Southwest Rift (Sulfur Cone), 1 shallow event on the Lower Southwest Rift, 3 shallow events on the NE Rift Zone.
Deformation: No changes in deformation rates or patterns were detected by the continuously recording GPS and tilt networks on Mauna Loa. Deformation continued to be dominated by southeasterly motion of the south flank.
Gas: Summit monitors have been offline since mid-February.
- Volcanic History Overview: Massive Mauna Loa shield volcano rises almost 9 km above the sea floor to form the world's largest active volcano. Flank eruptions are predominately from the lengthy NE and SW rift zones, and the summit is cut by the Mokuaweoweo caldera, which sits within an older and larger 6 x 8 km caldera. Two of the youngest large debris avalanches documented in Hawaii traveled nearly 100 km from Mauna Loa; the second of the Alika avalanches was emplaced about 105,000 years ago (Moore et al. 1989). Almost 90% of the surface of the basaltic shield volcano is covered by lavas less than 4000 years old (Lockwood and Lipman, 1987). During a 750-year eruptive period beginning about 1500 years ago, a series of voluminous overflows from a summit lava lake covered about one fourth of the volcano's surface. The ensuing 750-year period, from shortly after the formation of Mokuaweoweo caldera until the present, saw an additional quarter of the volcano covered with lava flows predominately from summit and NW rift zone vents.
- Location: Hawaii and Pacific Ocean, HI
Elevation: 4170 m
Recent Eruption: 1984
- Hazard Assessments: Mullineaux, Donal Ray; Peterson, Donald W., 1974, Volcanic hazards on the Island of Hawaii, Open-File Report 74-239.
- Link to monitoring data: Recent Earthquakes in Hawaii Page
Volcanic Alert Level: NORMAL Aviation Color Code: GREEN